Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Quickie: Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Seeds

     I'm gonna venture to guess that everybody loved digging through pumpkin innards to collect the seeds when they were kids. It was probably my favorite part of Halloween, what I consider to be a generally overrated holiday. Evil isn't really supposed to be fun kiddos. But I digress. Anyway, I haven't eaten pumpkin seeds since I was about 8 and until recently, it hadn't even occurred to me that you can season them with other things besides salt. So when my roommate told me she puts cinnamon sugar on them, I was immediately interested. You don't have to tell me twice to put sugar on things. And since we just happened to have a giant bag of rosemary in our kitchen, I was also inspired to try a different savory version. Because you also don't have to tell me twice to make everything taste like a Christmas tree. Since I only had a tiny baking pumpkin, I only made a small amount of seeds, half sweet and half savory. However, these recipes are completely eyeballed and can be made in any quantity. They're more of spice combination suggestions than actual recipes.

INGREDIENTS:
pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried

and either a dash of:
olive oil
salt
garlic powder
dried rosemary

or a dash of:
cinnamon
nutmeg
granulated sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 300 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss the pumpkin seeds in either combination of ingredients. Use olive oil sparingly, just to make the rosemary stick. For the sweet ones, the sugar will melt a little and make them stick together in delightful little bunches.
3. Bake at 300 for about 35 minutes and enjoy!


Come back tomorrow for 2 more recipes, one dinner and one more dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment