Sunday, March 16, 2014

Honey Beer Bread

     When I was a little kid, I was absolutely perplexed by this stuff. I loved it, but I really felt like I shouldn't. "You mean it has beer in it, but I can eat it?" the five-year-old me would ask. It felt wrong. Beer was for old people, and it smelled funny. How could it transform into something so delicious when baked? I didn't get it at the time, but now years later, and living in the land of beer, I had to revisit this old favorite. And I'm so glad I did. With only a few ingredients and about 10 minutes of effort, the result was absolutely heavenly.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons honey
12 ounces of beer
1/2 stick of melted butter

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a loaf pan (which I didn't have, so my bread is more cake-shaped)
2. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
3. Add in the honey and beer and mix just until there are no floury spots left.
4. Transfer the dough to the pan and smooth the top. Pour the melted butter over the top before baking. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
5. Enjoy this while it's fresh, with real butter.
Again, sorry it's cake-shaped. We'll call it rustic.

No comments:

Post a Comment