Monday, March 10, 2014

Lemon Chicken

     Have I told you guys lately that cooking here in Germany is hard? Every recipe involves ingredient substitutions, complicated conversions, and generally lackluster presentation. I feel like every post I write from here should begin with an apology because honestly, if I were at home, it would look better. I promise it all tastes just as good, but aesthetically, it takes some imagination. Even though cooking takes twice as much planning and time here, I'm not going to stop. Eventually, I'll learn what works here and what doesn't, and since I'm staying another year, maybe I can justify expanding my limited array of kitchen gadgets. But this particular recipe was a winner, winner, chicken dinner. It was actually  arelatively easy road to lemony goodness.

INGREDIENTS:
4 servings of chicken---White is good, dark would be better. I wanted to get some with the skin on, but my tiny German grocery store didn't have that today.
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
2 lemons, zest both, wedge one, and squeeze the juice of the other one
salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Chop the garlic, zest and juice the lemons.
2. In the bottom of a glass baking dish, mix the oil, wine, garlic, and lemon juice and zest.
3. Add the chicken to the dish, place lemon wedges in between, season with spices, and brush the top with the olive oil mixture, once before and once or twice during cooking.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.


It's simple and delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment