Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Adventures in Spices Part II: Turmeric-Dill Chicken

     A few weeks ago, I posted a recipe for turmeric spiced pork chops as my first experiment with this particular spice. That was pretty good, but I think today's recipe takes it up a notch.  I don't know why I find turmeric so intriguing, but it's exotic to me. Plus, I'm trying to learn more about cooking with herbs and spices in general, especially fresh ones. (Look for my adventures with fresh rosemary later this week.) Anyway, when I first noticed that I had some leftover fresh dill, I wasn't sure if I should mix it in this spice rub, but I surprisingly loved the combined aroma of the two. It smelled like an Indian Christmas tree, which I know makes zero cultural sense, but they really do seem to complement each other.

INGREDIENTS:
4 boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons fresh grated turmeric
leaves of one sprig of fresh dill
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
olive oil for the pan

DIRECTIONS:
1. Peel and grate the fresh turmeric. Treat it like a mini piece of fresh ginger, and don't be concerned when it turns your hands yellow.
2. Use your hands to tear the dill leaves off the stem and break them apart a bit.
3. Mix the turmeric, dill, oregano, and pepper in a small bowl. (From now on, I never add salt to recipes with turmeric because I find it naturally salty for some reason.)

4. Coat both sides of the chicken with the spice mix, using a one big pinch of it per side.
5. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and brown the chicken over medium heat for 3 minutes per side.
6. Reduce the heat to more of a medium-low. Cover the pan and cook for 12-15 more minutes until done, but check it at least once in that time frame.
7. Serve with a vegetable and some sort of grain. I made couscous for the first time to go with this, and it was a perfect pairing.
Enjoy and come back tomorrow for a relatively heathy dessert! If you just can't wait, check out yesterday's apricot tart!

No comments:

Post a Comment