Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

     It's been way too long since I've posted an ice cream recipe! I have a long list of flavors that I want to try, but I guess I just got a little ice creamed out after making so many rich and decadent custard-based recipes. I promised myself that I would try to find somewhat healthier versions, and I finally got around to that. This recipe really does taste like key lime pie, although I did cheat and use regular limes. I just didn't feel like hand squeezing 40 little key limes today, but I don't think that makes much of a difference. This recipe, like my others tastes rich and creamy. Unlike the others, it contains no heavy cream or eggs, which means no cooking. Just mix it up, put it in your ice cream maker, and freeze!

INGREDIENTS: (makes 1 quart)
juice of 4 limes
2 teaspoons lime zest
2 cups milk (I used coconut milk, but any kind will work.)
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 graham crackers, crumbled by hand

DIRECTIONS:
1. Juice and zest the limes into a small bowl.
2. In a larger bowl, whisk the condensed milk into the regular milk until completely incorporated. Then, stir in the salt and lime juice and zest.
3. Run this mixture in your ice creme maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. While that's working, crumble up the graham crackers, but leave the pieces big enough to see and provide an interesting texture. For my ice cream maker, I usually run the liquid by itself for almost 20 minutes, then add the mix-ins (the graham crackers) for the last 2 or 3 minutes of mixing.
4. Transfer the ice cream from the mixer bowl to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.

     Obviously this ice cream recipe is much easier than some of my older ones, so if those intimidated you, try this one out first! To add some extra pizazz, you could even throw in some toasted coconut as a flavor/texture complement or even a few drops of green food coloring if you want it to really look like lime. Finally, keep in mind that since there are no eggs in this recipe, you can taste test it at any point to see if you would prefer more lime juice. I tried to keep this one mellow because most people don't love citrus as much as I do, but don't hesitate to add your own twists to this recipe! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment