Thursday, July 4, 2013

The 5-Minute Mini Cake

     When I first found out about this recipe, I was very excited because I think it's something people will be likely to try. The backstory of how I found this is somewhat random. Today, on this beautiful 4th of July, I get to be a geeked out 90s girl and go see my childhood crush Johnny Rezenik and the Goo Goo Dolls with Matchbox Twenty, an event I've been looking forward to for weeks. (That's why I don't have time for a fancy recipe today.) So one day I was perusing youtube trying to figure out what would be on the setlist, and I came across a video of a British daytime cooking show and Johnny happened to be the celebrity guest. So for some reason I thought that would be really entertaining to watch (because what isn't entertaining at 1 a.m.?) and this is what they made! It's an individual sized chocolate cake that you can make from scratch in the microwave in just 5 minutes! Of course, I added my own suggestions to it, and it's my version or great college food, because it's incredibly fast and easy. I realize that there are versions of this sold in boxes at every grocery store, but this has to be cheaper if you calculate it all out. And of course, it's just as good! I know the pictures aren't very interesting because this recipe is more about taste and convenience than presentation.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons flour
a pinch of baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon milk
1 egg
a few chocolate chips
a few chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Put everything except the chocolate chips in a large microwave safe mug and stir very well. When you think you're done, stir for another minute!
2. Microwave for 1 minute.
3. Add the chocolate chips on top (don't stir) and microwave for another minute.
In this picture, I didn't put the chocolate chips in, but I decided to suggest them after the fact because it needed a little something extra. Because microwaves can all be different, take the times as just a suggestion. You might want to check it every 30 seconds or so. And obviously, the texture won't be exactly like a real cake, but it works when you just want a little treat. So try this, enjoy it, and have a wonderful Independence Day!

P.S. Check out yesterday's dinner recipe and come back tomorrow for another dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment