Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Spiced Mango Milkshake

     It's been a while now since I've posted a creative smoothie recipe, so I felt like it was time again. I try to come up with interesting flavors because who really needs directions to make strawberry-banana?  Now I believe that I have already discussed my newfound love for mangos, and if you're looking for similar tropical flavors with a bit more of a challenge, check out the mango ice cream I made back in May. If you're not quite ready for that yet, this smoothie tastes almost the same with just a fraction of the effort! The only part that's slightly annoying is learning how to cut a fresh mango. I really recommend watching a youtube video on that, but basically, you peel it with a pairing knife, then cut as much as you can off of every side of it, leaving the tough seed part in the middle. It helps a lot if the mango is very ripe to begin with. I don't mind doing things the hard way because that's how I learn stuff, but you could take a shortcut and use frozen mango that's sold specifically for smoothies.

INGREDIENTS: (for 1-2 servings, depending on how thirsty you are)
1 ripe mango
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup cold almond milk (but I bet coconut milk would be even better)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

As you can see, no added sugar! I was pretty proud of myself for that.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Chop the mango into cubes and juice the lime.
2. Blend everything thoroughly.

     I had this for breakfast today, but it would also be great for after a workout or even an alternative to a sugary dessert. I love discovering healthy things that I actually enjoy, and I'm a tough food critic with a serious sweet tooth, so I really think you'll love it too! Later today, I'm going to attempt to make my own naan bread, so come back tomorrow to see how that turns out. Really, it could go either way...

No comments:

Post a Comment