Sunday, July 7, 2013

Quickie: How to Doctor Up Boxed Mac & Cheese

     So in honor of Sunday, the day of rest, I decided to postpone my big culinary plans to next week and post another really handy recipe I made up for fast college food. For another dorm room favorite, check out the 5-minute cake, or if you're looking for an actual meal, check out yesterday's pasta recipe! I'm sure that I'm not the first one to add extra goodies to boxed mac & cheese, but I just have to share my favorite way to do it. I've experimented with this recipe more than any of the others, so I like to that it's pretty reliable. The two very important secrets to this are (1) to use white cheddar mac & cheese (none of that awful Kraft stuff, I won't even get into my hatred of that) and (2) horseradish cheese dip. I've discovered that you can add that stuff to all kinds of recipes to improve them, especially scrambled eggs. Anyway, these ingredients may sound unusual to all you easy mac lovers, but I think I've proven myself trustworthy so far.

INGREDIENTS:
1 box of white cheddar mac & cheese, plus the butter and milk it asks for
2 tablespoons of horseradish cheese dip
1 tablespoon shredded parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped yellow or red onion
a handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 clove or garlic
a handful of frozen peas

DIRECTIONS:
1. Boil the noodles as directed.
2. In another pot, cook the onion and garlic on medium heat in a little butter or oil until tender.
3. Drain the noodles, add them to the pot with the garlic and onion, then add the cheese powder packet and the amount of milk and butter specified on the box. Stir well.
4. Mix in the horseradish cheese and the parmesan. Then, add the peas and tomatoes. Continue to heat until all the veggies are tender and the cheeses are completely melted and incorporated.
Enjoy! And come back tomorrow hopefully for a healthy key lime pie! I swear I don't plan Pie Monday, it just usually works out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment