Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kale Chips

     A few weeks ago, I tried my hand at the increasingly popular trend of vegetable chips with zucchini and eggplant. To date, the zucchini chips are my favorite, but today I though I'd try another trend: Kale chips. Lately it seems like someone is making kale chips on every food show I watch, so I needed to find out what the big deal is. I still haven't made up my mind on what I think of them. There's something about the texture that I'm not completely in love with, but I think that's just a personal preference, so I'm posting this recipe so you can decide for yourself. They're surely much better for you than potato chips, but if they're not quite your thing, yo really should check out my baked zucchini chips.

INGREDIENTS:
enough fresh kale to cover 1 cookie sheet (either 1 big bunch or part of a prepackaged salad bag)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1-2 tablespoons grated parmesan

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread the kale out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Then, drizzle the olive oil over it, sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and parmesan, and gently toss to coat it all.
3. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. The resulting kale chips will be very dry and crunchy. I don't know why, but that surprised me a little.

     These make a great healthy snack, but i served them as part of a meal with my brown sugar pork chops. I posted that recipe a long long time ago, but I just now felt compelled to share it again because I love it so much!
     Keep an open mind and try these chips! But if you're more in the mood for something sweet, don't forget about yesterday's key lime pie ice cream! Can you tell that I just figured out how to do internal links? They sure come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment