Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Authentic Wiener Schnitzel (Almost)

     Traditionally, Wiener Schnitzel is made of veal, but if you make it out of pork chops, you technically have to call it "Schnitzel nach wiener Art" (Vienna-style schnitzel). When I was in Germany, I ate way too much wiener Schnitzel, only because that was one of the only things on the menu that I understood. When in doubt, order Schnitzel! When I went to Vienna, I planned on finding some real wiener-wiener Schnitzel, but unfortunately, I ran out of time. So someday, I have to return to Vienna, specifically to have Schnitzel. But honestly, who in the target demographic of this blog is going to go to the store and order veal? Pork is just an easier choice, and it's just as good. This recipe only takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, and I translated it from an actual German cookbook, so I know it's pretty legit. Excuse me, I mean really authentic. Check out yesterday's pretzel recipe for a side suggestion.

INGREDIENTS:
6 boneless pork chops
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
3 eggs
salt and pepper
oil for frying
1 sliced lemon (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Using a meat mallet, pound the pork chops thin. Then lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Pour the flour onto one plate, the breadcrumbs onto another, and beat the eggs in a bowl.
3. Lightly cover both sides of the meat in flour.
4. Dip in the egg, covering both sides.
5. Liberally coat both sides of meat in breadcrumbs.
6. Heat up a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan. You may need to fry them in 2 batches unless your pan is giant. Fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.
7. Serve with a slice of lemon on top of each. This may sound weird to you, but Schnitzel with lemon is very German. I'll admit that I literally used to eat lemons for breakfast and will put them in anything, but this suggestion isn't just mine. The German cookbook backed me up on this one.
Enjoy! And come back tomorrow for a fancy, but simple potato dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment